Thursday, October 14th 2021

U.S. Embassy Responds to Detained Residents in Mexico

Written by

Rafael Bracho

Get Instant Quotes

Find out today why thousands of expats use us as their trusted brokerage abroad. Click below to get instant quotes to all of our providers.

Quote Now

Join our newsletter!

U.S. Embassy Responds to Detained Residents in Mexico

For the last few months, we at Expat Insurance have been hearing increasing reports of tourists—and even temporal or permanent residents!—being detained while the status of their visa is confirmed.

We recommend that you carry your FMM, Temporal, or Permanente Visa on you at all times, as well as a form of legal identification such as your passport. Though we haven’t heard many accounts of people being stopped in their own cities, it’s probably a good idea to at least carry around a copy of your documentation with you to avoid any issue.

It’s especially important that you carry these documents with you when you are traveling throughout Mexico, because these checks are most common at bus stations and while en route to other destinations.

If you cross the United States/Mexico border by land, then you need to actively seek out your FMM visa. It’s not handed to you at the border, and you will need it if you plan to travel more than 20 kilometers from the border crossing.

Below Is the Response from the Us Embassy on This Issue:

OCTOBER 13, 2021

U.S. citizens are reminded that if you enter Mexico by land and plan to travel beyond the immediate border area you must stop at a National Migration Institute (INM) office to obtain an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple, or FMM), even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials.

When traveling in Mexico, the law requires that foreign visitors carry a passport and entry permit. You may be asked to present these documents at any point. If you do not present these documents, immigration authorities may lawfully detain you for up to 60 days while they review your immigration status. Immigration checkpoints are common in the interior of Mexico, including in popular tourist areas far from the border.

U.S. Citizens resident in Mexico should carry their resident identification cards at all times.

Actions to Take

  • Obtain entry permit (FMM) at INM office if entering Mexico through a land border and traveling beyond the immediate border area.
  • Carry your passport and entry permit (FMM) with you.
  • For U.S. citizens who reside in Mexico, carry your resident identification card.



Get An Insurance Quote

Are you an expat living abroad? Compare insurance prices instantly now.

*your information will not be shared with 3rd parties

Fill in your email to get quotes for:







team@expatinsurance.com+1 (800) 577-4308+1 435 647 6379

Smart Portal