Monday, June 6th 2016

Expats Keep their American Car in Mexico with this Loophole in South Dakota

Written by

Rafael Bracho

Get Instant Quotes

Find out today why thousands of expats use us as their trusted brokerage abroad. Click below to get instant quotes to all of our providers.

Quote Now

Join our newsletter!

American Car in Mexico

This article concerns the American government. (This is not an article concerning the Mexican government and the legal registration of that vehicle in Mexico. For answers to how to import your car to Mexico, click here.) When you move south of the border, and you decide to keep your American car in Mexico, after some time, your state registration may need to be renewed. Letters from your home state will likely arrive requesting a safety or smog inspection to re-register your vehicle. If you live along the border, perhaps re-registering your vehicle is only a day’s drive—a short trip home—however the drive back to your home state is likely farther, and thus logistically unfeasible.

Other warning letters are sure to arrive. We have heard of temporary exemptions such as submitting a copy of your Mexican proof of insurance, which can lead to a temporary solution to registration. However, in roughly three months, the American government will inevitably begin its search anew. There is another way to keep your American car in Mexico.


It is possible to register your car in Clay County, South Dakota. It’s a small county, that discovered a great opportunity to register a non-resident American car in Mexico (as well as other countries). They do not require South Dakota residency, insurance coverage, or smog safety registration. The entire process can be done via telephone and mail. This loophole allows you to legally keep your car registered in Mexico and avoid the DMV hassles, all while providing revenue for a small county in rural Dakota.

Clay County released a memo that states:

Once again, an applicant need not have a South Dakota address to apply for South Dakota title and registration. Under current law, out-of-state residential post office addresses will suffice.

The Department understands that certain counties handle number of mail forwarding services whose customers are, in fact, true “nomads” without abodes in this or any other state. Applicants wishing only to list a mail forwarding address will be required to indicate, under the penalties of perjury already present on current applications, that he or she claims no residential post office address in this or any other state. This will allow true nomads to provide their mail forwarding address information without requiring a traditional residential post office address. However, if the person does claim residence in another state, they are required to list that address, even if it is outside South Dakota.

For further information, contact the helpful employees at the DMV Treasurer in Clay County, South Dakota: +1-605-677-7123.

Here is a document about the official statement of non-residence registering in South Dakota:

South Dakota Official Statement


The DMV for Clay County, South Dakota has a very informative website, with the details of the loophole on this page: http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Non_Resident_Information/

Or you can visit a more specific title:

Policy on Non-Residence:


Affidavit in Support of Non-Residency:


Non-Residency Letter:


ATV Information:


Interested in getting health insurance while living abroad? Get a free quote today by clicking below.

Get a Quote

Phone Consultation

Get An Insurance Quote

Are you an expat living abroad? Compare insurance prices instantly now.

*your information will not be shared with 3rd parties

Fill in your email to get quotes for:







team@expatinsurance.com+1 (800) 577-4308+1 435 647 6379

Smart Portal